They started mining marble here around 1904, but it wasn't until several years later in 1913 that a town site was officially dedicated, according to Paher. But they had a town pool. post office, store, hotel, and a restaurant, and marble blocks were shipped to Los ANgeles via the Tonopah and Tidewater railroad. The marble turned out to be of lower quality than hoped for and by 1924 the post office had closed. A cement plant operated in the 30's but didn't last very long, and is north of the marble operation and town.
Marble got a lot of people excited.
MARBLE MINING IS NEW AND BIG INDUSTRY
The Panic of 1907 halted development, and not until four years later did actual work begin on the property. Bullfrog had died, Gold Center was practically off the map. Rhyolite and Beatty barely existed. The mines closed down, no pay rolls were in the district, and for this reason the opening up of the quarries of the American Carrara Marble Company have proven of inestimable practical production basis. Modern improvements and methods have been installed. At quarry No. 2 electric drills bore through the rough surface rock clearing the "floor" for quarrying operations. In quarry No. 1, Ingersoll Rand Channelers run three shifts, cutting commercial marble from the floor. Over the ridge at the Old Quarry stands a diamond drill which first proved the solidity of the great marble deposits. The polishing plant, containing saws, rubbing beds, and polishing contrivances, is electrically operated. Two shifts keep the saws in fairly constant operation and the grinding of the polishing bed is always heard. The electricity which operates the quarrying machinery and rock drills, as well as furnishing power for the finishing plant and lighting the quarry camp was brought twelve miles across the desert from Rhyolite. The water was piped nine miles from the old Gold Center wells. The houses were hauled from twelve to fifteen miles, and there are thirteen of them at the quarry camp. And electric power line, to convey blocks from the quarry to the cars has been surveyed and planned. Construction will start within the near future.
-Reno Gazette Journal, April 30, 1913
They were shipping marble!
VISITORS ARE PLEASED WITH THIS DISTRICT
American Carrara Marble People Plan Heavy Shipments Of Product To Coast
Tonopah was visited this morning by a number of the most prominent capitalists of Ohio and Kentucky, all interested heavily in the American Carrara Marble company. The American Carrara Marble Company has started shipments of great blocks of marble to both Los Angeles and San Francisco. While the company has its own plant at the quarries the marble is shipped in blocks to the contractors, as it has been found that the contractors can make a big saving by sawing their own blocks, thus eliminating the heavy cost of electric power.
-Tonopah Daily Bonanza, March 24, 1922
A little gold laying around too!
GOLD ACE ORE IS BETTER THAN EVER LATE ADVICES SAY
The Gold Ace strike at Carrara is looking better than ever, according to a report brought to reno yesterday by Captain Walter Rowson of Tonopah, who has just returned from Carrara.
-Reno Gazette Journal, May 14, 1929
No more talk about marble. Now we're talking cement!
The American Electro-Thermo Corporation's White Portland cement plant located at Carrara, Nevada, has been designed and is being equipped to manufacture a minimum of 50 barrels daily, weighing 376 pounds each. It is reasonably expected that the plant may prove capable of manufacturing 65 barrels daily. By installation of additional burning kilns at a cost not to exceed $10,000, it is possible to increase the output to 150 barrels daily. The American Electro-Thermo Corporation was incorporated in Nevada August 8th, 1938. The objects and purposes of the Corporation are primarily to operate the large Marble deposits and quarries located at Carrara, Nye County, Nevada.
- American Electro-Thermo Corporation, November 21, 1938, Report of November 15th
SOUTHERN NEVADA REPORTS NEW INDUSTRY
Goldfield, Nev., (Special) One of the new industries in Southern NEvada and possibly the only one of its kind in the state is the marble cement plant at Carrara, about eight miles south of Beatty, on the site of the old Carrara marble works. The Carrara Portland Cement Company, a Nevada corporation, is a division of the American Electro-Thermo Corporation, and has been operating a small but very complete testing plant on the east side of the Beatty-Las Vegas highway at Carrara, for several months under the direct supervision of Mr. Harry Mick, president and general manager, a marble cement expert, formerly connected with one of the large companies at Lehigh Valley, Penn. This plant, which consists of the latest machinery for crushing, grinding, roasting, and mixing of the different ingredients for the manufacture of pure white cement, is powered by a 125 horsepower steam boilers, using fuel oil trucked in from os Angeles, and has been operated on a sufficiently large scale to satisfy the company that the production of a white cement on a commercial basis is feasible. A swimming pool, about fifteen by twenty feet, and lined with marble from the quarry looks very inviting in that dry section. The Carrara marble has had a varied career, originally promoted years ago to produce a marble competing with the famous Carrara marble of Italy, but it was found to be so full of slips and fractures that it was useless except for small ornaments, however occasional large perfect slabs are encountered but not enough for commercial purposes. The drinking fountain in the lobby of the Goldfield hotel was constructed from this beautiful marble.
-Reno Gazette Journal. December 16, 1939
HEAVY EQUIPMENT IS SHIPPED TO CARRARA
What is believed to be the largest piece of mine equipment ever transported by truck and trailer in the United States over so great a distance was crawling over the Ely-Tonopah highway last week, en route from Eureka, Utah, to Beatty Nevada, a distance of approximately seven hundred miles. The equipment, a seventy-one ton steel tube formerly used in processing ores at the Chief Consolidated Mining Company mill at Eureka, passed through Tonopah Friday, the Tonopah Times says. No longer useful at the closed mill in Eureka, the tube is destined for use as a cement kiln at the Carrara Portland Cement Company plant at Carrara, seven miles south of Beatty.
-Reno Gazette Journal, February 5, 1941
Not much market for cement due to the upcoming war, I suppose.
The Carrara Portland Cement Plant Company at Carrara closed down Saturday, partially on account of delay in getting replacements for parts destroyed in the recent big fire there, and also for a possible change in carrying on the work.
-Reno Gazette Journal August 27, 1941
Annnnnd- we're done here.
Elizalde Plant at Carrara To Be Dismantled
Dismantling of the Elizalde cement plant at Carrara, south of Beatty, is in progress under the direction of Ray and Guy Smith, who have the contract, the Beatty Bulletin has learned. The job is expected to take three months, with from 12 to 15 men employed. Many difficult problems are posed, as the equipment must be dismantled, painted, waterproofed, and crated for shipment by boat to Argentina, where the company is erecting a vermiculite plant. One of the toughest tasks facing the contractors involves a 150 ton kiln or roaster, which is mounted on 14-foot pillars.
-Nevada State Journal, November 20, 1947